Encouraging active travel
If you're hoping to improve the sustainable travel habits and health of your residents, here are some ideas that residents can be encouraged to try:
- Utilise the Cycle to Work Schemes offered by businesses near or within the new development. This allows employee residents to purchase a bike tax-free and pay monthly instalments which will come directly out of their paycheque for 12 months.
- Encourage walking meetings! Get the blood pumping, and endorphins going. Residents will notice an increase in motivation, concentration and a boost in attitudes. Try out some of the walks and cycle routes suggested by Explore Kent
Here are ideas that you as the developer could develop:
- Review the condition of the walkways and cycle routes on and adjacent to your site and provide and plan upgrades.
- Provide cycling and walking routes for residents.
- Set up guided walks and cycle rides for residents.
- Provide well-lit and conveniently located cycle parking, shelters or stands.
Encouraging public transport & car sharing
You can help promote public transport and car sharing within your development. Here are some ideas that residents could be encouraged to do:
- Join Kent Journey Share - a free car sharing platform which tells you if someone is travelling your way.
- Plan their journeys on Kent Connected, a sustainable travel planning website which will also give you extra information on travelling sustainably in your area.
You, as the developer, could also:
- Print and promote the most up to date public transport timetables and ensure these are available for staff and visitors.
- Provide shuttle buses that link to railway stations and town centres.
- Encourage your residents to use public transport for business travel.
Did you know that Ashford International, Canterbury West and Tonbridge rail stations have cycle hire facilities? Residents could hire a Brompton bike for just £2.50 per day.